You are not logged in.

Announcement

Forum database was corrupt and an old backup was restored as temporary replacement. Registrations closed until the database is recovered. Please ask questions using the Contact form

#1 30-04-2013 23:24:07

Tom
Contributors

streamlining the "single group" mode

Hi Thomas -

The competition between the vertical scrolling in each group and the horizontal scrolling to different groups is something about the Windows 8 UI that can unfortunately leave one with a bit of uncertainty about where you are on the page, and where you've been.  For webpages intended for (non-exhaustive, non-mission-critical) browsing/fun, this is fine, but for (mission-critical) webpages intended to be exhaustively seen by the user (like course websites where one of the buttons, highlighted in red, is a homework assignment...), a simpler setup with a single, vertically-scrolling group is preferred (possibly leading to different groups of tiles via links to new pages).  That said, the remainder of the Metro UI (especially the "live" boxes that make maximally effective use of limited screen real estate) is a big design win for Microsoft.

I will thus be attempting to use your template as a single group, reflowing vertically (that is, in what your main.js calls $page.layout == "column" mode), with the separate "mobile" mode of the template disabled, so viewing it on narrow smartphones in portrait orientation simply gives a two-column version of exactly what is seen on desktops or tablets in up to ~6 columns.  Unfortunately, using your template in this fashion results in a whole lot of dead code; I have to manually eliminate the menu in the upper-right corner (and it's adjustments as the screen gets narrower), and a whole lot of logic in your php and js files becomes redundant.

It would therefore be awesome if either:
(a) A repackaging of the php and js codes as individual files in your template facilitated streamlining the template significantly when running in this simplified mode with a single group and no separate "mobile" branch, by skipping the calls to the several unrelated sections of code.  [At the moment, to my eye, this seems challenging, because the "group" (and, to a much lesser extent, the "mobile") constructs seem to permeate throughout your php and js codes.]
(b) A perhaps better suggestion is to make a "lite" branch of your template that incorporates only a single group and deactivates the separate "mobile" branch.  I reckon such a "paring down" wouldn't be too much work for someone who knows your code inside and out (that is, you... after staring at the guts of your code for some time now, I'm still a bit daunted by the task).

What do you think?  Anyway, very nice work so far.  I hope I have a chance to give back a bit as I fiddle with it more.

- Tom

#2 01-05-2013 11:59:56

Thomas
Administrator

Re: streamlining the "single group" mode

Hello,

I've reworked it so you now have the option to display the groups vertically or horizontally. I'm just messing a bit with the "responsive tile layout" but it seems to be working nice.

I don't really understand what you mean with disabling the mobile things? In config/mobile.php you can disable mobile mode so it won't redirect mobile phones to the mobile site. Do you mean the "responsive things"? Like the main top menu that dissappears and beceomes a "menu" button?

#3 03-05-2013 10:52:42

joshie39

Hi Thomas,

Some people like myself have difficulties donating and would appreciate the possibilities of alternate payment systems. Even though i am not in the US, I have needs to develop websites for clients. kindly make it possible for me to pay you from Africa. Thanks.

#4 03-05-2013 10:53:35

joshie39

Hi Thomas,

Some people like myself have difficulties donating and would appreciate the possibilities of alternate payment systems. Even though i am not in the US, I have needs to develop websites for clients. kindly make it possible for me to pay you from Africa. Thanks.

Board footer