You are not logged in.

Announcement

Forum database was corrupt and an old backup was restored as temporary replacement. Registrations closed until the database is recovered. Please ask questions using the Contact form

#1 17-05-2013 15:28:22

dynamicsint
Contributors
Registered: 15-03-2013
Posts: 29

Problem with accents on Safari

Hi everyone,

I have just realized that on Safari (and thus IPad) I had a problem with my links having an accent (in French)

Example:
Www.monsite.com/#&société

Have you an idea of the modification to be made to solve this problem?

Thank you ;-)

Offline

#2 17-05-2013 18:26:09

Thomas
Administrator
Registered: 10-03-2013
Posts: 897

Re: Problem with accents on Safari

I can offer 2 solutions; a simple one and a better one.

The simple one; this would just decode the encoded safari characters to something the script understands. Porblem is that the url stays ugly, and normally special characters like é and è and à are not allowed in urls, so it wouldn't be 100% to the guidelines (but it works).

The better/more difficult one would be that the template rips out all the special characters ( so société would become societe in the url).

I don't know which side effects the changes would have. Stupid I didn't check special characters.

I'd suggest that you'll send your site source to me. It's faster/easier for me to apply the changes manually than to say how to apply them. And then I can see if it works in your case.

Offline

#3 17-05-2013 20:28:26

Emil
Moderator
From: in a shipyard
Registered: 15-03-2013
Posts: 106

Re: Problem with accents on Safari

It is highly recommended NOT to use special characters in URLs. In general URIs as defined by RFC 3986 (or RFC 2396for URLs) may contain any of the following characters: ABCDEFGHIJKLMNOPQRSTUVWXYZabcdefghijklmnopqrstuvwxyz0123456789-._~:/?#[]@!$&'()*+,;= Any other character needs to be encoded with the percent-encoding (%hh). Each part of the URI/URL has further restrictions about what characters need to be represented by an percent-encoded word. The browser will convert it to %xx symbol anyway

PS. Use this link to get valid characters: http://www.w3schools.com/tags/ref_urlencode.asp. Take into consideration how important this detail is. It’s nice to have these pretty URLs but how far are you willing to go for your audience? You’ll need to encode the URL, which is important in an XML sitemap, and thus causes more work. What this means is, like the space character (it converts it to the string “%20”), other ASCII characters will take the place of your symbols to represent them, usually in the pattern of “%E3%82%AB%E3%83”. Prepare to see lots of the % characters for each special character.

Last edited by Emil (17-05-2013 20:38:59)


Good advice is often confusing, but example is always clear.

Offline

#4 17-05-2013 20:53:18

Thomas
Administrator
Registered: 10-03-2013
Posts: 897

Re: Problem with accents on Safari

dynamicsint means that the template generates urls with bad characters in the hash (for example, when your tilegroups is called Société and you scroll to that group, your url will end with #&société, which is invalid. In the new version I really have to fix this. (by converting the characters to their "normal" equivalents)

Offline

#5 20-05-2013 12:57:45

dynamicsint
Contributors
Registered: 15-03-2013
Posts: 29

Re: Problem with accents on Safari

Hi Thomas and Emil and thank for yours answers.

@Thomas, i have send you an email with the files source.

Thanks again.

Offline

Board footer

Powered by FluxBB