You are not logged in.

Announcement

Forum database was corrupt and an old backup was restored as temporary replacement. Registrations closed until the database is recovered. Please ask questions using the Contact form

#1 19-07-2013 18:51:17

semajhtims
Contributors

CMS Idea

Hi,

Has anyone thought of perhaps managing all of the content by employing this method (using a google spredsheet)

http://andrewwooldridge.com/blog/2011/0 … n-web-page- with-yuiyql-and-google-docs/

I thjink this would be  agreat way to silo content from UI and provide an easy and familar way for users to manage their content and leave teh UI tweaking to the professionals (like the folks on this board)

Just my 2 cents

Have a great weekend all!

Cheers!

#2 19-07-2013 19:48:35

Pie
Contributors
Website

Re: CMS Idea

page not found tongue

your link is broken...

Nice weekend 2u2

Last edited by Pie (19-07-2013 19:49:35)

#3 24-07-2013 01:33:55

MDQdam
Contributors
Website

#4 26-08-2013 17:58:37

chrismaliszewski
Contributors
Website

In my opinion, now there is no sense creating CMS while project is still evolving and being developed. When you think about it how Thomas Metro UI template works, that it's possible to create nice CMS to it.

I also thought about CMS with admin panel and MySQL database but till V4 won't be final I think it'd be waste of time creating it.

Imo final version (5th, 10th?) of this template should evolve to be CMS using previous version in which there is no other things to change/repair but create new plugins. And... it should costs some money(!) because of time Thomas/other people spend to create it - at least X DOL/EUR and more if sb want to give because she/he thinks it's worth.

But that is only my opinion.

#5 26-08-2013 19:12:20

Thomas
Administrator

I've been looking to CMS'es last months. But nothing really impressed me to combine flexibility with ease-of-use. For example, I've been working on a Wordpress version but I felt it made things more complex to maintain and program/mod.
CouchCMS is a very nice CMS to develop for, but it doesn't support enough things to create a nice tile system.

About the sheet-driven website: I wonder how search engines index it.

#6 27-08-2013 09:34:20

chrismaliszewski
Contributors
Website

I was thinking about creating own CMS system, specifically for this template, because I think it'd be

1. hard to create it for existing systems (like you said),

2. many people woudn't use it if they were obligated to install sth more,

3. people would need to learn other big system which could decrease no. of people interested in your template

4. and more...

So good thing would be creating your own system and creating plugins to it.

Your system now is based on classes (mostly), with quite good placed fragments of code that developers can/should change (some things still are needed to be moved to config catalogue to be set there that developer doesn't need to search that in unknown files, i.e. languages things, setting CSS should be in config also not in index/mobile.php etc.) so there shouldn't be problem to create nice, easy admin website with DB containing list of plugins, their properties, properties of main page, subpages properties etc.. But it would take time to create sth like that! But it should be possible.

Sheet-driven website - I think semajhtims thought about creating way to read data from them and place this data on website; to change way of administrating i.e. tiles and writng them into speardsheet and not into PHP file. Imo it's not worth wasting time to do that - way like it's now is very easy and clear.

Last edited by chrismaliszewski (27-08-2013 09:42:11)

#7 27-08-2013 21:24:06

Thomas
Administrator

Locale system is being implemented now.

I've also worked on a WYSIWYG-like builder for the tiles btw. But never finished it. smile

#8 28-08-2013 11:10:33

chrismaliszewski
Contributors
Website

Wow - how would it work, because I can't imagine this  smile.
Draging & putting new features/things into some kind of canvas which would store everything in "content" variable?
If yes - wouldn't it be hard to create "code made" tiles for i.e. website weather checking?

When I was thinking about CMS for your system I thought about creating tiles using plugins in this way:

-plugin script part and fields part should be separated,
-plugin contains fields which are stored either in DB or files (fields understood in way they are now),
-when user want to create tile system reads fileds of plugin and automatically creates (one of way):
--form which contain all possible inputs,
--form with obligatory fields and list of additional fields which user can choose and set.
-while user is creating tile he/she can see preview of created tile or see error information,
-after saving new tile is saved into either separate file in catalog tiles (every tile is saved in different file with names suggesting to which site they are created to speed up loading) or into DB with information only about set properties,
-when page is loaded, system reads names of tiles files to take required tiles for this page OR read DB to do this and place tiles in same way like it's now.

Creating new plugin would require creating 2 kind of files: script and fields. When you'd like to update it, you need to only send new version of plugin and (if you'd like to store fields in DB) send SQL query to update it. All plugins should be made to be compatible with previous version - if they are not, they should be thought as a new plugin.

The worst part is to create system of storing tiles, than creating them. You already have displaying part and almost whole loading part.

Cheers.

Last edited by chrismaliszewski (28-08-2013 11:11:15)

#9 15-05-2014 05:00:53

Lap-a-toon

Hi, I tried to implement a CMSbased on Metro UI templates, and achieved some success. I succeeded to put all the articles and information about tiles in MySQL, as a result speed of loading pages decreased slightly. See here http://lexx.telenet.ru. Strictly do not judge, I'm still a novice.

#10 12-01-2016 19:19:39

thejaff
Contributors
Website

I am STILL working my my wife's site... I keep coming back to it every couple months and putting in a couple days work. Aside from this there are those 10 minutes of inspiration moments that result in little changes, but I REALLY am almost there. 

I wanted to comment on this old thread because for me, a CMS for this site would be almost as important as the template itself. When I started this project I knew nothing. I had  general computer USE knowledge, had programmed back in the day (Basic, Pascal, etc), and had popped up in modern times once and learned HTML (2).  I understood the basic concepts of OOP but had not used any modern languages. In order to build this site, I got this template, and one of those 750 page Learn HTML 5 and CSS books. I found it incredibly helpful so long as I used the information consistently, or it swooshed down the drain and I'd have to review a couple pages to get the knowledge back. This template has kept me in general practice and taught me as much as that book did, in that the actual experience was worth far more than arbitrary examples. Anyway, a CMS has been in the back of my mind since day one. I  was sure that by the time I finished the site I would have gained enough knowledge to implement it myself. Now I am quite sure I won't be there just yet. The reason it would be so valuable though is that my wife would then be able to play a direct role in the management of her site, rather than be being a translator from what she calls English, (I call it wifespeak) to Code... Being able to skip this for very repeatetive changes or changes that are large in scope but simple in theory, would be a godsend. It would be an easy way also to demo changes  much in the way skins do, so she can see I am right without having to do a lot of work to prove it. 8^) lol..

Thank you again for your work. Every time I sit down to do something on this site I am just floored at how well thought out and all encompassing it is.  In case there is a poll being conducted,  I would definitely be willing to pay for content management. Easily worth to me what the template is worth. That might not hold true for everyone, but does for me.

Board footer