You are not logged in.

Announcement

Forum database was corrupt and an old backup was restored as temporary replacement. Registrations closed until the database is recovered. Please ask questions using the Contact form

#1 22-05-2014 10:23:21

jojami
Contributors
Website

More tiles you add, slower your page loads?

So, ive ran a few different tile formations while messing with this "the worlds best template" (imo).. But ive noticed... One one of my offshore server nodes,  It lags allot.  Usually,  I found the main issue being the bg image too high res.  So i lowered it.  I found using cloudflare, even the free version speeds up my website.  Some of you running personal sites who use onshore servers shouldnt lag, but i noticed Chris's #1 rendition ui site lag when I check it.  Is cloud flare our only solution when we begin to add more and more tiles?

My point is... Is the developement continuing? Or has real life taken grip and squeezed the free time out?  I really hope not.  I know Thomas has provided the basic structure and people like chris have modded it without forum guides/reccomendations.  Is there going to be a v5 official?  Or could it be an idea to recruit existing donators who have experience in php and with this ui to work together and release a V5?  This is seriously the nicest web interface ive seen in years, would be a shame to watch it fizzle out because thomas is busy with other more important stuff..

I mean, there is nothing wrong with it how it is now... But, it could be much better.  Do you have future plans Thomas? or is it an "as and when i have time" sort of thing?  Ive had people off me money for my site already inwhich i passed over your info to donate to try spur on the dev.   I would love to see this really kick off with more advertising bringing more php dev's to offer their modifications to it.  It's a shame i dont understand writing of php from scratch! I sit staring at my site while high... and i just think to myself..  This tile could do... That tile would look epic like... Id love that tile to be like... But,  Im dont have the ability..  ops   

Has anyone else wondered or had opinions on the possibilities of  v5?

www.Ninjatech.eu - Offshore developement

#2 22-05-2014 15:12:48

Thomas
Administrator

Re: More tiles you add, slower your page loads?

It depends on what you call "slow" and "lag". The load time of the site will be increased with more tiles,  but it should not be noticable. You can enable the compress function to significantly reduce file requests, and thus increase loading speed.

The "lag" you describe is the rendering. I've optimized it a lot using Chrome's timeline to check paint events etc and used as much as possible hardware acceleration, CSS3.. to make scrolling smooth. But still it can be quite heavy to scroll the whole page this way.
To make it smoother, you could set $bgMaxScroll in config/layout.php to 0. That should reduce the painting times a lot. And indeed, reducing the resolution of the background image helps too.

The server cannot be the reason of lag while scrolling or animations. Once the site is loaded, all files are loaded and everything else is client-based.

I agree about the development. I should release more features. Or better said: I should finish more of them. Lots of draft things are lying here. Some of the changes in v5 will be:
- URL's without the #! in it
- better resolution-scaling: the biggest flaw of this template is the conflict between horizontal and vertical scrolling, which will be fixed.
- better file/code structure
- more modular structure, so it's easier to create multiple "pages" with tiles, add tiles into subpages.

I've also wasted a lot of time working on a wordpress port, but didn't like it in the end.

I hope to get back on track with V5 in a month, but can't say when it's ready. smile

#3 23-08-2014 01:21:57

jasonkibby

No Wordpress port!!!   This is perfect as it is, in this form.   Keep doing what you're doing!!!  :-)

#4 23-08-2014 19:00:55

Thomas
Administrator

Too late wink

#5 23-08-2014 20:28:25

chrismaliszewski
Contributors
Website

Thomas wrote:

Too late wink

Thomas, do you mean this?

#6 23-08-2014 20:47:11

Thomas
Administrator

That's not my work. Thanks for sharing that. It looks like someone copied the V3 of this template without asking.

#7 23-08-2014 22:31:24

chrismaliszewski
Contributors
Website

Write phrase
metro ui template wordpress
in Google in Graphics. You will find more images from your template which may not be your work (I mean that sb stole from you V3 of your template or at least screens from it).

Board footer