You are not logged in.

Announcement

Forum database was corrupt and an old backup was restored as temporary replacement. Registrations closed until the database is recovered. Please ask questions using the Contact form

#1 05-08-2016 20:26:58

thejaff
Contributors
Website

Looking for help with getting a weather tile functional

I am having some problems with getting a working weather plugin working, and was hoping for some quick help.

I had the original tileweather plugin working just fine, then a few months ago it just stopped.  I am not partial to what I detail below.. Anything that works well and is more than just plain text would be helpful.

Here is where I am now:

I am very much a top down learned, so I understand roughly what needs to be done, but might be iffy on details until I learn them the first time...

I  would be happy for any advice/code/downloads anyone can offer. I have attempted to use all of the possibilities I have thus far found in the forums here on the site, with no l luck.  I have even attempted to start at the beginning and implement my own version of the stock weathertile plugin, in hopes that it might help me understand where the problem is, or what I am doing wrong. I believe the stock one was using the code from simpleweather, which is where I began, but I do not remember where I got that idea... 

Using info from their site (http://simpleweatherjs.com/)  and info from the tutorials on how to make a plugin from the front page of the metro ui site, I started this way:

Using the example of a full demo on the simpleweather site at this url:

http://codepen.io/fleeting/pen/xklfq

I cut and pasted the css portion to a file in the plugin directory called plugins/tileweather/plugin.css 

I then put the js in plugin.js

At this point however I was not at all sure how to call it from a tile, nor what to use for plugin.php... So I tried taking the plugin.php from the old tileweather plugin, which (ah, now I see how I realized it was based on simpleweather...) I opened up that file and checked it out....it referenced a .js file named jquery.simpleWeather-2.1.2.min.js   the simpleweather site is currently on version 3.1.0  so what  I did was simply change the pointer to that file to point to my plugin.js file instead (not sure that is right).  Then I attempted to just called it in a tile the same way original tileweather plugin did.   Obviously I changed all the relevant info in these examples to my local information.. but I still end up with nothing but a blank tile.

My tile code is:

$tile[] = array
("type"=>"weather","group"=>1,"x"=>2,"y"=>0,'width'=>2,'height'=>1,"background"=>"#000000","url"=>"",
    "location"=>"Turners Falls, US","zipcode"=>"01376","woeid"=>"12758441","unit"=>"F",
    "labelText"=>"at the bakery","labelColor"=>"#00BFFF","labelPosition"=>"top","classes"=>"");

-------------------------------------------------------------

If you are not able to take the time, but know of someone else on the site you could refer me to who might be able to, I would really appreciate it. I have posted a couple requests to the support email,  but so far I didn't get a response, so I'm trying again today.. I just feel like I have invested a lot of time on building this site and really do not want to give up on it.

Thank you to anyone for any help you might be able to provide
Joshua Puchalski

#2 07-08-2016 22:24:43

Thomas
Administrator

Re: Looking for help with getting a weather tile functional

Hi, I had sent you an email a few weeks ago about this (with fix wink ). Maybe it's in your spam or something, I have resend it now smile

#3 19-08-2016 17:54:55

thejaff
Contributors
Website

I found an email that said pretty much exactly what your above post says, but the original email, nor the resend, seem to have made it to me. I added you to my address book in hopes that will prevent it from going to the spam folder, but in 10 years I have only had 1 message from an intended communication end up there...

#4 24-08-2016 13:23:52

Thomas
Administrator

This was in the mail smile

"
type is what you define in plugin.php:

$tileTypes['weather'] = array(

Did you start from the tiletemplate plugin example?

Indeed the API has been changed, I've updated the plugin (it's in the attachment). Don't look at the CSS, I tried to quickly align everything to the right since the layout was ugly but now the CSS is ugly smile
"

Link: https://www.dropbox.com/s/2ikvnazrdwjr1 … 6.zip?dl=0

Board footer